[Icecast-dev] MPEG DASH

Daniel James daniel.james at sourcefabric.org
Tue Feb 11 08:12:06 PST 2014

Hi Yannick,

> Companies will not have to pay royalties or license fees because they
> have implemented the DASH Standard using Qualcomm's DASH Essential
> Patents within a standalone software application sold and distributed
> separately from a product capable of implementing a WWAN standard

My reading of that statement (as a non-lawyer) is that a handset
manufacturer or Google itself might not be able to implement this
standard for Android without paying a patent royalty. They also
potentially include laptops and tablets in their definition of a WWAN
device.

> Yet, I don't know if Qualcomm is the sole patent owner for DASH.

Always an issue for anything with MPEG in the name, it seems :-)

> I am more interested in the P2P streaming
> useage of DASH : Clients will be able to exchange DASH fragment over
> WebRTC's Datachannel, so that less bandwith is consumed on the icecast
> server.

Sounds similar to Kamelia, although that was before the days of WebRTC:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/publications/whitepaper113

Cheers!

Daniel