[Icecast-dev] MPEG DASH

Yannick "Modah" Gouez ymg at stea.mn
Tue Feb 11 07:22:45 PST 2014

This document from Qualcomm may help.

http://www.qualcomm.com/media/documents/qualcomm-dash-licensing-commitment

it states :

 Companies will not have to pay royalties or license fees because they have
implemented the DASH Standard using Qualcomm's DASH Essential Patents
within a standalone software application sold and distributed separately
from a product capable of implementing a WWAN standard, even if this
software application is eventually used on a WWAN device.

Yet, I don't know if Qualcomm is the sole patent owner for DASH.

Concerning the purpose of adaptative streaming, just like Brad said, there
is the "unpredictible bandwith drop" use case.

But, like I said earlier, I am more interested in the P2P streaming useage
of DASH : Clients will be able to exchange DASH fragment over WebRTC's
Datachannel, so that less bandwith is consumed on the icecast server.

Y.

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 3:59 PM, Daniel James <daniel.james at sourcefabric.org