[Icecast-dev] Radio player for FirefoxOS

"Thomas B. Rücker" thomas at ruecker.fi
Wed May 22 06:07:34 PDT 2013

Hi,

On 05/22/2013 12:57 PM, Assen Totin wrote:
> Hi, Emilis,
>
> I have two working Icecast players which implement client-side parsing
> of yp.xml and searching then through it: [...]

The idea is to finally offer a better API towards the data. Also to
reduce the bandwidth usage. The XML file causes a LOT of traffic,
especially as many clients don't implement HTTP compression. :-(
This is also bad for users as they have to wait longer for:
- a large download (700k compressed, 7MByte uncompressed)
- parsing of the full XML file

Whereas this could be broken down into only delivering the necessary
data. More requests, less total transfer volume.

> On 22 May 2013 15:13, "Thomas B. Rücker" <thomas at ruecker.fi
> <mailto:thomas at ruecker.fi>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     On 05/17/2013 12:12 PM, Emilis Dambauskas wrote:
>     > I have pushed my radio player for FxOS to GitHub:
>     > https://github.com/emilis/worldradioplayer
>
>     Finally got around to cloning your repo and pushing the app to my
>     Unagi.
>     Simple and functional. I like that.
>     Once you get access to a larger list you'll have to accommodate some
>     filtering though.
>
>     > Currently it uses a precompiled data from
>     http://dir.xiph.org/yp.xml:
>     >
>     https://raw.github.com/emilis/worldradioplayer/master/static/js/data/xiph.org.stations.json
>     >
>     > I will have to switch to asynchronous station list loading and
>     filtering
>     > in the near future and then will nag you again about the JSON
>     API :-).
>
>     Yeah, I'll try to work something out for you to play with soon.
>     It will be experimental for now, so that nobody comes after me if I
>     break their app by changing the API here or there to improve it or
>     reduce the system load on the database.
>
>     > Thank you very much for your help!
>
>     You're welcome. I'm happy, that finally Firefox and Icecast start
>     to go
>     hand in hand.

Cheers

Thomas