[Icecast-dev] Packages of icecast 2.4-beta?

Daniel James daniel.james at sourcefabric.org
Thu Mar 28 06:09:36 PDT 2013

Hi Thomas,

> My preferred approach would be to explain how to merge the debian
> packaging with a more recent tar-ball and rebuild a package out of this.

We can provide a wiki page on that, sure, although we would probably go
one step further and actually provide the packages for our target
distros too (Debian stable/testing and Ubuntu 10.04/12.04 LTS).

> a PPA approach might be easier for interested parties.

We provide apt.sourcefabric.org which is not a PPA as such, it's a
regular apt repo.

> When it comes to the 2.4 beta I actually made the conscious decision to
> version it so that no extensions to the version number itself are
> necessary to ensure a clean upgrade path.

We usually handle that by including ~ in the suffix of the deb version
number, which makes the version subordinate to any official
Debian/Ubuntu release later. For example:

liquidsoap_1.1.0~wheezy~sfo-1_amd64.deb

counts as older than:

liquidsoap_1.1.0-1_amd64.deb

for upgrade purposes.

> Beta1 is 2.3.99.0

Is a beta2 on the horizon? Or are there fixes since beta1 we should
include as patches?

>> > A possible alternative would be for us to provide an Icecast 2.4-beta
>> > demo server that our community could use for test streams.

> Well that's something in your decision scope that I can't comment on. ;-)

Would it be generally useful to the Icecast community to have a 2.4 test
server available? Or do people generally have spare machines to use for
this?

Cheers!

Daniel