[Icecast-dev] Packages of icecast 2.4-beta?

"Thomas B. Rücker" thomas at ruecker.fi
Thu Mar 28 05:53:51 PDT 2013

Hi Daniel,

On 03/28/2013 11:14 AM, Daniel James wrote:
> Hello,
>
> At Sourcefabric we are testing Opus streams from the Airtime broadcast
> automation system via Icecast 2.4-beta. Other developers in our
> community are testing video streaming with Theora. We would like to make
> it easier for our users to try this Icecast beta themselves.

That is sadly a typical problem with most distributions.
I wonder what would be a good way to handle this gracefully.

> Would it be premature for us to release a backported .deb package of
> icecast 2.4-beta for Debian and Ubuntu, or would the additional feedback
> from our community be welcome?
>
> We would of course make it very clear that this package would not yet be
> recommended for production use, and as such it would not go into our
> official repository until the code was declared stable by the Icecast team.

My preferred approach would be to explain how to merge the debian
packaging with a more recent tar-ball and rebuild a package out of this.
I actually plan to include that on icecast.org, alongside a similar
description for Fedora/RHEL/Centos.

I do realize that this necessitates additional steps that might be error
prone. So a PPA approach might be easier for interested parties.

When it comes to the 2.4 beta I actually made the conscious decision to
version it so that no extensions to the version number itself are
necessary to ensure a clean upgrade path.
Beta1 is 2.3.99.0

> A possible alternative would be for us to provide an Icecast 2.4-beta
> demo server that our community could use for test streams.

Well that's something in your decision scope that I can't comment on. ;-)

Hope that helps? I welcome further discussion about this topic!

Cheers

Thomas
Icecast maintainer