[Icecast-dev] Streaming AAC with libshout?

RJ Ryan rryan at mixxx.org
Tue Jun 25 12:30:57 PDT 2013

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 2:36 PM, "Thomas B. Rücker" <thomas at ruecker.fi>wrote:

> Generic patches supplied by the community that target the 'pass through'
> legacy functionality of Icecast will be merged pending usual review. In
> the causa at hand, think 'allow a mime-type to be passed to libshout'
> this would also address codec extensions: 'audio/ogg; codecs=opus' and
> be generally useful.

This sounds quite reasonable. But the way libshout is designed entangles it
with the formats it supports. It's not possible to set a custom mimetype.
It's not possible to provide a custom shout_open_XXX function for a stream
-- instead you have to call shout_set_format with a SHOUT_FORMAT_XXX which
has a fixed list of shout_open_XXX functions that it calls.

Would you support patches that make this generic to allow formats that
libshout does not explicitly support? That way all the AAC code
(open/send/close stream) that e.g.
this<https://trac.xiph.org/attachment/ticket/1872/libshout-2.3.0-aac-mime-aim-irc-icq.v2.patch>
patch
adds could live outside of libshout. For example, what if we added a
SHOUT_FORMAT_CUSTOM format for which you provide a custom shout_open_XXX
function and a custom mime type?

Warm regards,
RJ Ryan