[Icecast-dev] How to use http-put for JavaScript source client

Jamie McClelland jm at mayfirst.org
Wed Jul 31 14:25:54 PDT 2013

Hi all,

On Wed Jul 31, "Thomas B. Rücker" wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 07/23/2013 07:44 PM, Jamie McClelland wrote:
> > I'm following up on a thread started by Stephen a couple months ago
> > about building a JavaScript source client using webrtc.
> >
> > The first step suggested was to figure out how to mux the audio and
> > video. After I posted a feature request on the webrtc experiment js
> > library, we seem to have a solution:
> > https://github.com/muaz-khan/WebRTC-Experiment/issues/28#issuecomment-20791759
>
> I saw that, I didn't grasp if that provides a proper Ogg muxed stream,
> but we'll find out.

Yeah... I somehow doubt it given Romain's response, but it's been
instructive trying.

> > Based on the last comment on the icecast Dec list, we now only need to
> > do do an HTTP put request to the icecast server (
> > http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/icecast-dev/2013-May/002171.html).
>
> That's correct. Make sure to use a recent beta version of Icecast 2.4
> though!

Done. (I documented this process back in December for anyone else
running Debian:
http://current.workingdirectory.net/posts/2012/vp8-and-debian/). I just
updated to the beta 3 version of 2.4.

> > Great! I've got my jquery ready, but am having trouble finding docs on
> > how to build the put request. I tried looking at the libshout source,
> > but my c skills aren't quite good enough to figure it out.
>
> It's even easier, you can even use CURL (that's why we implemented PUT
> to provide better interoperability through standard compliance).
>
> > Any help would be appreciated, particularly with an example.
>
> Using my example from http://icecast.org/#release_2.4-beta2 :
>
> cat foo.ogg | curl -u source:hackme -H "Content-type: application/ogg"
> -T - http://localhost:8000/mountname.ogg

Very elegant indeed.

I'm continuing my debugging and discussion on the webrtc-experiment
issue tracker which seems more appropriate than the icecast list. I'll
give an update here if we get anything working.

Here's my latest status:

https://github.com/muaz-khan/WebRTC-Experiment/issues/28#issuecomment-21896312

Thanks for all the help.
jamie