[Icecast-dev] Icecast Server API

Ralph Giles giles at thaumas.net
Wed Feb 27 19:19:58 PST 2013

On 25 February 2013 00:57, Richard Schülein <rs at noveltech.de> wrote:

> Is there an API do received the current listed stations?
>
> We want to implement Icecast into a audioplayer and for that we have to
> download the current stations list (is that allowed?)

Icecast is software, not a single-vendor hosted service. So there are
two things:

You can connect to an icecast server and get the currently active
streams. You can scrape the html off the index page, see for example
http://repeater.xiph.org:8000/ or you can get raw xml from
/admin/stats.xml. Unfortunately the raw xml query requires
authenticating with the admin password, so this isn't helpful for
casual listeners, just producer clients.

There's also a global stream directory for icecast at dir.xiph.org.
Listing is optional, but there are usually plenty of streams in the
directory. To get a current list for your player, load
http://dir.xiph.org/yp.xml. Please make sure you client sends the
'Accept-Encoding: gzip' http header; it saves a lot of bandwidth.

Hope that helps,
 -r