[Icecast-dev] Installing Airtime on ubuntu Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS

Daniel James daniel.james at sourcefabric.org
Tue Apr 2 02:25:54 PDT 2013

Hi Thomas, hi Marc,

>> http://pastebin.com/6MNEi8zF
>> >
>> > any idea ?

Airtime depends on UTF-8 support for international metadata. So we check
to make sure it is available at install time.

> It tells you what the problem is actually and how to solve it. Your
> system locale is not likely not UTF8.

In this case LANG is set, but the system does not seem to know what its
default locale is.

Marc, what does the file /etc/default/locale contain, if anything?

> You should be able to use 'en_US.UTF-8', but also 'de_DE.UTF-8' if you
> prefer German command line output where possible.

On Ubuntu, running the command:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales

should be enough to put things right.

I'd be interested to know how the locale got into this state. Was it a
minimal server install? If so, do you perhaps not have the 'locales'
package installed?

The 'locales' package is an explicit dependency of our
airtime-easy-setup package but not a dependency of the airtime package,
which I will fix.

Cheers!

Daniel