[Icecast-dev] Help

Rücker Thomas thomas.ruecker at tieto.com
Tue Sep 25 09:05:32 PDT 2012

On 25/09/12 18:41, renato fringuello wrote:
> For example, this station: http://radio.dyne.org:8000/ondarossa.mp3
> has got a xspf file?
> I obtain a message: Could not parse XSLT file when i try to open it
Ah, you are talking about the /individual/ servers, not about
http://dir.xiph.org - that explains it!

So let's deconstruct this:
This is the status page: http://radio.dyne.org:8000/
It has a link to http://radio.dyne.org:8000/blackout.mp3.xspf
If you click that link it will show "Could not parse XSLT file".
This is a problem of /this/ particular server.

I think in Icecast 2.3.x there was a problem that the make-file would
not install the xspf.xsl file properly and thus some distributions
carried 'broken' packages.
Sadly nothing you can do about that on your side. Most up to date
servers should provide that though. (the administrator can disable it
though, together with the web interface).

> For the stations that I can't found in yp.xml
> (e.g. http://212.162.68.230/1.mp3
>         http://212.162.68.230/2.mp3
>         http://212.162.68.230/3.mp3
>         http://stream15.top-ix.org/ondequadre )
> it means they aren't on an official database ? because I can hear
> them! so they exist!

While those stations do exist they did not chose to be listed on
dir.xiph.org.
It is up to the server administrator and the stream themselves to enable
directory listing. Not everyone does that.
c.f. http://www.icecast.org/docs/icecast-2.3.3/icecast2_config_file.html#yp
http://www.icecast.org/docs/icecast-2.3.3/icecast2_config_file.html#mount

> The project to enrich the APIs is a long term plan? Because I think
> this is a very good project and it needs APIs!!

Yes it's a long term plan. First I'd like to understand the needs of
application developers.
Likely it's going to be quite simple though so that we can cope with the
load of many clients on the server side.

> Thanks again for your disponibility and sorry for my english!

No problem, we're here to help.

Cheers

Thomas