[Icecast-dev] Stream pushing ?

Stepan Broz peacef at wo.cz
Tue May 25 01:32:37 PDT 2010

Hi Guillaume,

Last time I've tried, Icecast can only "pull" a stream from other
Icecasts. And Karl's branch (I'm not sure about the trunk codeline as of
today) can pull on demand, so only if you have connected listeners the
stream is pulled from the source server, thus saving bandwidth (but who
needs to save badwidth nowadays, huh? ;-).

The functionality is called relaying, and it's configured using <relay>
tags in the config XML. On-demand relaying can be turned on or off using
<on-demand>1 (or 0)</on-demand> in the <relay> section.

It's very long since I've been using Icecast on daily basis, so please
feel free to correct me.

Regards,

Stepan