[Icecast-dev] too many wakeups/sec?

Jussi Kukkonen jku at goto.fi
Wed Oct 21 11:55:01 PDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 5:53 PM, Karl Heyes <karl at xiph.org> wrote:
>> I'm seeing quite a few wakeups/sec in icecast2 2.3.2 on Debian Testing.
>> In fact, whether icecast is doing anything or not, powertop reports 44.3
>> wakeups per second. This is pretty big number, on my laptop it means
>> icecast alone is responsible for every third wakeup on idle.
>
> This will vary depending on what you have icecast doing but you should find
> that the trunk code has less wakeups.  The connection and stats parts are
> not quite the same as the kh tree, although they have been changed, so you
> should see an improvement.

Thanks, Karl. Testing with trunk I can confirm this. Just as before it
doesn't seem to make difference if icecast streams something or not,
but there is a significant improvement compared to 2.3.2:

2.3.2     44 wakeups/s
trunk     13 wakeups/s

13 wakeups is still not optimal when in reality my icecast usually has
nothing to do (no mounts, no clients), but it is a lot better.

Thanks for the good work,
  - Jussi