[Icecast-dev] checkpoint into Ices2

Geoff Shang Geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Fri Nov 30 01:00:07 PST 2007

Rebeli-Szabo Tamas wrote:

> Ices should periodically save relevant information to a checkpoint, so that
> when it crashes and then restarts, it can continue to provide the stream from
> the point it left off, based on the information in the checkpoint.

First, if Ices is crashing for you then this is something that needs
looking at.  Ices should be able to run indefinitely without crashing.

Apart from that, in my opinion it would be far easier to write a program or
script to provide next track info to ices, and have it keep its own state
information.  It could then serve Ices the same track name as the one it
crashed on. Of course, there is the issue of it figuring out if it is being
called after a crash or simply after the end of the previous track, but
this is probably something that can be figured out.  Maybe have it check to
see if the appropriate time has elapsed since it was last called.

At any rate, this would allow you to do what you want without modifying
Ices in any way.

Geoff.