[Icecast-dev] mp3 stream instead of "icecast-auth-user: 0"

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Wed Sep 20 07:01:41 PDT 2006

Klauss Fumuldavijus wrote:

>> A mechanism to pass back a filename is certainly possible, I doubt
>> that you want the auth server to send the file contents. Report it on
>> bugs.xiph.org
>
> actually i do, unless there are other ways to communicate with
> authentication server and mp3 palyer on the listener side. If we are
> talking about wmplayer or winamp - none of them displays
> icecast-auth-message if icecast-auth-user: 0. In this case sending back
> an mp3 file contents is the only way to respond with some details
> instead of login-screen prompt.
> So, can you please give some more details on file-passing-back mechanism?

An authentication server is really for handling the requests made by
icecast, not by the listener. The 'icecast-auth-user:' header is only
meant for icecast.  The authentication server could technically be used
for sending back media content for the listener but whether that is
better than sending back a filename that icecast could use is debatable.

> and some specification about that "bug" - i mentioned i've tried to send
> back file content's in auth-message, but forgot to mention icecast
> server dropped mp3 content, so currently there is nothing to report on
> bugs.xiph.org.

If you think there is a missing feature then you can still report it.

karl.