[Icecast-dev] Additional "icy-burst-size" header ?

Maarten Bezemer mcbicecast at robuust.nl
Sat Oct 21 05:51:23 PDT 2006

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006, Jelle Kok wrote:

> The question is how this header should be formatted ?
> Should it be (most likely) something like:
> "icy-burst-size:262144" (for a burst buffer of 256kB)
> or something like:
> "icy-burst:20000" (for a burst of 20 seconds) - This looks somewhat like
> Microsoft-WMA servers notifies it's clients for bursts.

Since things like metadata-interval are also specified in bytes, and the
burst-on-connect size is configured as bytes in the server config, it
would make sense to use bytes here as well. If specified in seconds, then
the header should be something like icy-burst-size-seconds. But that can
never be as accurate as bytes, especially for VBR streams.

> If you do not wish to implement this feature, could you be so kind to
> define the semantics for this header (to prevent any problems in the
> future) ?

My guess would be that patches are always welcome :-)

Given the application you probably have in mind (KWR) an easy workaround
could be to add this information to the .PLS sent to the client.

Regards,
 Maarten Bezemer