[Icecast-dev] Concurrency

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Wed May 17 02:44:11 PDT 2006

On 5/15/06, All <eric.haddad at all.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm very intersted in developing a site using your platform.  I was
> wondering if you've tested the theoretical maximums for this software and
> can show me some numbers.  How many simultaneous users could I expect to
> handle at 128k (hardware not being the limiting factor)?

Hardware not being the limiting factor, at least several hundred
thousand. Hardware is ALWAYS the limiting factor, though. There are
some limits inherent in the design, but real-world limits hit before
these theoretical concerns.

On sufficiently fast real-world hardware, you should be able to run at
least 10-20 thousand concurrent users. We've only tested up to about
14000, but that was at a lower bitrate. However, at that point icecast
was not stressing the server system (but our load generation test
machines were being stressed - the load generation software wasn't as
smart as icecast)

Mike