[Icecast-dev] XML Stats heavy problem

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Sun Aug 6 06:34:45 PDT 2006

Christian Mueller wrote:
> Hello Icecast developers,
>
> we are using icecast for a long time now. But we allways must notice, when
> some not standard metadata arrives the system, icecast's xml data can't be
> successfully parsed with any standard perl xml parsers.
> I think it happens because of not unicode conform settings. Would be nice
> if you could take a look on it.

icecast has to know what the charset is when the metadata is received,
which for ogg is ok as it's UTF8 in the spec but in the case of MP3 it's
unknown. We assume it's unicode which will be a problem if it is
actually something else.

In my branch work I do have a mount option <charset> which allows for
nominating a metadata charset (instead of unicode) which icecast uses to
convert to unicode for stats/YP displays. This can be merged if people
are interested in it.

karl.