[Icecast-dev] Question

Michael Smith mlrsmith at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 15:52:09 PST 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:15:04 +0100, Jürgen Knauth <juergen at pocketrec.com> wrote:
> It is quite simple but highly relevant to me ;-) I was looking for the
> icecast protocol specifications/documentations but all I could find
> where documentations of applications how to build or configure them. I'm
> interested in some Java implementation of a audio streaming client,
> therefor I was looking for some info about the protocol.
>
> Please -- where can I find information?

Sorry, we know this is a deficient area in our documentation - we've
just never got around to writing it.

I assume you're asking about the source client protocol (rather than
the listening client protocol)?

It's basically just HTTP with Basic authentication. The one
substantial difference is that we have a custom HTTP method, which you
must use for a source client. It's called "SOURCE". It's semantically
more-or-less identical to "PUT".

See - simple!

There are some additional custom headers, all of which are optional
(they're just informative, you really only need them if you're using
the YP services), and if you're doing mp3 streaming, some additional
crap for inline metadata updates (the latter compatible with shoutcast
- a google search for "shoutcast inline metadata protocol" should turn
up some good explanations).

I don't think we have any documentation of the custom headers. We
probably should.

Mike