[Icecast-dev] metadata sent from windows based system

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Sun Oct 10 18:05:25 PDT 2004

On Saturday 09 October 2004 08:07, oddsock wrote:
> >For mp3, we support a mechanism similar to the way listening clients work.
> > If you want details, let me know and I'll write it up (it's directly
> > compatible with the way shoutcast does client metadata, even though, as
> > far as I know, shoutcast doesn't support this for the source to send
> > metadata).
>
> we don't support inline metadata from the source client.  Any mp3 source
> client that needs to send metadata MUST do it via the URL interface.  This
> is how the Shoutcast Metadata protocol works.  None of the mp3 source
> clients that I've seen support injecting the metadata into the stream,
> that's all done by the server/relay.

We do support inline metadata from the source client. I don't know if any
source clients use it, but it gets tested pretty often because it's neccesary
for metadata to work on relays. We'd have to explicitly block that working to
not support it for source clients (and we don't block it).

You just send the icy-metaint header (like a listening client would receive),
and then interleave the metadata according to the shoutcast metadata
protocol. It works reliably, and is much clearer and cleaner than the
URL-injection method.

Mike