[Icecast-dev] metadata sent from windows based system

oddsock oddsock at oddsock.org
Fri Oct 8 15:07:04 PDT 2004

At 08:27 PM 10/6/2004, you wrote:
>On Wednesday 06 October 2004 18:31, Nagy Gergely - Kék Duna Rádió wrote:
>
>This works for mp3 streams, but is not the recommended method _even for mp3_.
>
>The recommended method for doing this is to send the metadata updates
>in-stream, from the source client.
>
>For vorbis, this just works - you start a new logical stream, which
>contains a
>metadata header, and will update the client properly.
>
>For mp3, we support a mechanism similar to the way listening clients work. If
>you want details, let me know and I'll write it up (it's directly compatible
>with the way shoutcast does client metadata, even though, as far as I know,
>shoutcast doesn't support this for the source to send metadata).

we don't support inline metadata from the source client.  Any mp3 source
client that needs to send metadata MUST do it via the URL interface.  This
is how the Shoutcast Metadata protocol works.  None of the mp3 source
clients that I've seen support injecting the metadata into the stream,
that's all done by the server/relay.

So URL-based metadata updating is not only recommended but the only thing
we support for mp3.  While I do agree that it would be nice to send the
metadata only on song boundaries (you can really only do this by inlining
the metadata at the source client end), I don't see this as a critical
thing to add to icecast, but like you said, that comes natively with the
way ogg vorbis streams are defined.

oddsock