[Icecast-dev] multicasting

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Thu Nov 25 10:58:55 PST 2004

On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 04:30:18PM +0200, Mindaugas Musnikas wrote:

> We want to begin icecast streaming of FM stations. As far as I know, Icecast
> does not support multicasting yet. My question is: will be multicasting
> implemented in the next version of icecast? Is there a possibility to
> multicast icecast's stream with third party's open source products? Thank
> you in advance.

We have no immediate plans to support it. The vast majority of internet
users do not have multicast access, so we've never felt it was
particularly important. What environment are you targetting? If this
changed we would of course be interested in implementing it.

FWIW, we do expect to have new RTP drafts for our codecs (a
prerequisite) in a few months, so there's some progress in
this direction in the background.

 -r