[icecast-dev] more on default values....

oddsock oddsock at oddsock.org
Mon May 17 08:14:17 PDT 2004

At 10:02 AM 5/17/2004, you wrote:
> > Firstly, I'm one of those people who thoroughly reads through a config file
> > before firing up the server, so the final decision won't affect me much
> > from a server admin point of view.  From the point of view of a listener,
> > I'd be happy enough for burst on connect to be the default, providing the
> > buffer isn't too big.  I'd also like to see it be configurable, as if it's
> > measured in bytes, the amount of latency will depend on the bit rate.  I am
> > constantly frustrated at shoutcast's 1 meg buffer, which runs to several
> > minutes at 16kbps for example.
>
>Since we know the bitrate of the stream, is there a reason to have the
>buffer size config parameter be in bytes?  I should probably be in
>tenths of a second or some such more appropriate unit.  Let the code do
>the math, instead of the humans.

well, we know the *reported* bitrate of the stream...although, we don't do
any decoding of the stream to determine the bitrate...so it would seem iffy
at best to reliably get the "bitrate" of the stream to perform this
calculation...unless I am missing something...And that calculation also
might get even more complicated when we are talking about mutliple codec
streams (OggTheora+Vorbis)...

FWIW, the default size currently set in the config was calculated assuming
a 128kbps or less stream and assuming the client buffer size to be that of
a default winamp and foobar2000 install.  I haven't looked at XMMS, but I
would assume that it would coincide to the Winamp/Foobar setting..

oddsock