[icecast-dev] Question about Icecast

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Sat Feb 7 16:45:59 PST 2004

On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 02:54:21PM -0800, Ray Kinman wrote:

> I subscribe to a streaming audio (internet radio) service called "Coast to Coast AM".  Thier server will not allow it's stream to be downloaded and saved for later listening.
>
> Will IceCast perform such a function?  If so, how do I go about it?

Icecast is a streaming server for running internet radio stations. It
uses open standards for streaming (http) and so it is straightforward
for users (or players) to download or save the stream as it plays.

There is no techincal way to prevent users from doing that in any
system, of course, it's just that some software tries to make it
inconvenient.

If "Coast to Coast AM" is using that sort of software, icecast can't
help you. It's a supply-side application.

Good luck,
 -r