[icecast-dev] icecast2 ogg vorbis client request headers

oddsock oddsock at oddsock.org
Fri Apr 2 08:22:48 PST 2004

I think the plan is to add a URL based authentication, which would allow
you to make a call to an arbitrary script (PHP, CGI, etc) which could do
whatever you'd like (look up users in a mySQL db, look up in a local file,
whatever)...this, I think, provides the most flexibility, and also pushes
off alot of the authentication logic off of icecast where it doesn't really
belong...

a simple conversation protocol will be developed, but you can expect
something like the following :

1. client connects to mount point
2. icecast makes a URL call passing in mountpoint, username, password
3. icecast checks the return of the URL call and either allows the client
to proceed, or disconnects immediately.
4. client disconnects, icecast would also probably make a URL call which
would communicate the disconnect..

also keep in mind, this isn't implemented yet, and is still on the drawing
board...but this is on the icecast todo list.. :)

oddsock