[icecast-dev] Stream metadata settings

oddsock oddsock at oddsock.org
Sun Nov 30 15:24:41 PST 2003

>IMHO, a system like Icecast should be made so highly configurable that it
>would fit everyone's needs, but I get the impression that only the needs
>of the principal developers are of interest here. It makes me sad to see
>this, Icecast could be great instead of just being good.

this is a bit of an unfair statement.  You are implying that we develop
icecast for our own self-serving needs.  I can assure you, that is far from
the truth.  Also, I feel like our team has a pretty darn good grasp of how
people want to use icecast.  Personally, I've been doing the streaming
media biz for 4 years or so, and have been very close to the broadcasting
community...So saying that "only the needs of the principal developers are
of interest here" is just not true...

that being said, our general approach to functionality is if enough people
ask for it, it gets implemented...Or if we can see a general use for some
new functionality, then we will also consider getting it implemented (time
allowing)...your patches with regards to the fallback processing definitely
fall into this category.

we want to encourage everyone to contribute patches and new
functionality..this is how Icecast grows and becomes a better product..But
being maintainers of that product means we reserve the right to not
implement every patch sent to us.  In general though, if it's well coded,
follows the general icecast coding style, and is applicable to a
significant group of the userbase, it is adopted...

oddsock