[icecast-dev] Stream metadata settings

oddsock oddsock at oddsock.org
Sat Nov 29 21:07:22 PST 2003

to add to Mike's comments....
At 11:42 AM 11/27/2003 +1100, you wrote:

> > My newest series of patches provides the following:
> >
> > - time limited access to streams
>
>This might be useful, a patch would be welcome.

I guess it would depend on how it was implemented...to me it doesn't seem
useful for 99% of the icecast users out there (I could be wrong), I think
the implementation or net effect becomes pretty complicated, sure you can
dump a listener after a configurable amount of time, but if you want to
prevent them from reconnecting, then you are talking some more significant
logic...

> > - streams that can be used by souces, but not by listeners, but can be
> > fallbacks
>
>This is problematic. What constitutes a 'source' as opposed to a 'listener'
>from the point of view of the protocol? Currently, nothing.
>
>Sufficiently generalised, this might be acceptable, though (for example,
>configurable bans on sources based on various headers, for this particular
>case you might match on the user-agent header).
>
>How is this implemented in your patches?

again, I don't really see the usefulness here in general...I can see how it
may be needed by your situation...but not in the general case...I could be
wrong though..

> > - multilevel fallback and recovery
>
>This is (conceptually, I'm not certain about the actual implementation, I
>haven't looked at it in sufficient detail) an excellent addition. Definately
>welcome.

yes, this one is definitely needed.. If we can get a patch for only this
part then we would seriously look at adopting it...

> > - overrides for any metadata and yp flag in the server's config file
>
>Yes, this fits in well with the <mount> section in the config -
>per-mountpoint
>configurable overrides.

in my opinion, adding new "controls" like this has limited applicability in
the general case...I would be more inclined to implement this if more
people stood up and said.. "Yeah! I need that..."

> > - ability to exclude local (127.0.0.1) listeners from the statistics
>
>I'm much less sure about this one. The statistics are meant to be
>complete. It
>would seem more sensible to post-process your logs to remove things you're
>not interested in. You'll need a stronger justification for this.

I agree with Mike....Statistics should be complete...it's pretty trivial to
do the exclusion you are talking about in the XML parser that is
interpreting the stats...

oddsock