[icecast-dev] Hot Topic: Icecast in Macromedia Flash

gtgbr at gmx.net gtgbr at gmx.net
Fri Nov 28 16:31:33 PST 2003

Macsym wrote:
> I am trying to build an mp3 player in Macromedia Flash that would work with
> Icecast. Using Flash as a mp3 player instead of Winamp, XMMS,. could
> democratize Icecast because Flash is cross-platform/cross-browser, it is
> installed on almost every computer connected to the internet and it will be
> embedded into a webpage.

You should read the Flash Player's EULA ... I, for example, am not
allowed to install or even use the flashplugin as an OpenBSD user on
most of my computers. (One may only use it on Windows, MacOS, Linux and
Solaris.) On a side note, I happen to know that the plugin would
actually work in Linux emulation on OpenBSD... of course, nobody
officially ever tried that.

Not very interesting. That, and what Jack wrote about its lack of Ogg
support make Flash simply the wrong tool.