[icecast-dev] Icecast source number problem, ices frozen after reconnect attemps failure (icecastkh13 iceskh48)

Melanie melanie at t-data.com
Wed Nov 26 15:23:06 PST 2003

Hi,

On 2003.11.26 20:44 Karl Heyes wrote:
> > That would be a showstopper for me. I _need_ ices to terminate if it
> cannot
> > connect successfully. This ought to be an option, IMHO.
>
> That would sound like a poor solution, a connection to one of the
> servers could die for various reasons, killing all connections would
> seem an extreme action.
>
> If you're thinking of notification then that could be achieved without
> shutting down ices. What sort of thing would you _need_ to do after ices
> shut down?

In that particular case, ices is driven by a GUI. It only uses one
instance. I just think that the option to terminate on disconnect is
valuable. Many common cases will only have one instance feeding one mount.
In that scenario, it makes sense to terminate ices.

Terminating raises SIGCHLD, which the app reacts on, giving visual feedback
and optionally attempting to restart.

Melanie