[icecast-dev] Icecast2 YP extention

Arc arc at indymedia.org
Sat Jun 21 14:21:15 PDT 2003

On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 04:13:10PM -0500, oddsock wrote:

> can you be more specific on what you mean by YP authentication ?

cluster password, username, password.

> >with action=add:
> > banner=URL
> >
> >This allows the Icecast2 server to supply a URL for a graphical banner
> >to represent the radio stream instead of just it's name.  On the server
> >end it could fetch this URL, scale/convert it as needed, and prehaps use
> >it with the name below it... or it could just ignore it.
>
> yp related server info is currently only specified in the source
> client.  In my opinion, icecast2 should not be the place where this
> information is stored.

The problem with this is in order to extend YP do we not, then, need to
modify Icecast *AND* all the source clients?  libshout, ices2, oddcast
DSP, etc etc etc... some information does not origionate with the source
client, such as the number of listeners and the "listenurl".. I don't
see why other data which is not content-specific (such as song title,
bitrate, etc) cannot be provided by the icecast config file.

> >In addition it appears that part of the YP protocol currently in use is
> >undocumented, the command that provides the "home url" for the
> >broadcast.  apparently, if not given, this defaults to the URL of the YP
> >server on oddsock and icecast.net.
>
> I agree I should update the spec that I have to mention that "url" is an
> optional parameter.

how about calling it "homeurl"... since we already have listenurl, just
to keep them from getting too confused?

homeurl
listenurl
and bannerurl?