[icecast-dev] Icecast2 YP extention

Arc arc at indymedia.org
Sat Jun 21 13:44:31 PDT 2003

I think we definetly need to get YP authentication into Icecast2 soon,
but I'd like to propose an extension to the draft now...

with action=add:
 banner=URL

This allows the Icecast2 server to supply a URL for a graphical banner
to represent the radio stream instead of just it's name.  On the server
end it could fetch this URL, scale/convert it as needed, and prehaps use
it with the name below it... or it could just ignore it.

In addition it appears that part of the YP protocol currently in use is
undocumented, the command that provides the "home url" for the
broadcast.  apparently, if not given, this defaults to the URL of the YP
server on oddsock and icecast.net.

I believe that alot of this stuff can/should be implemented directly in
Icecast, in the mountpoint section, and does not require anything
special on the source-end.