[icecast-dev] ambiguity in sample ices config files

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Tue Jan 28 11:19:19 PST 2003

> The ices-playlist.xml specifies encoding for one of the instances:
>
> <encode>
> 	<nominal-bitrate>64000</nominal-bitrate>
> 	<samplerate>44100</samplerate>
> 	<channels>2</channels>
> </encode>
>
> One would thing that this means that the resulting vorbis stream
> will be 64kbps.
>
> But that's not the way things work!

I'm sure the reason this is wrong is because it wasn't changed after Ogg
Vorbis 1.0 was released.  This is how it used to work in RC4 and
earlier.  The nominal bitrate setting would select the nearest quality
value, and normally you'd get something close to what you asked for.

It should be changed to <quality>3</quality> or something.  We don't
want to encourage CBR streaming, since as far as I can tell, it's rarely
needed.

In any case, I'm sure if someone submitted a small patch it would be
committed.

jack.