[icecast-dev] Re: PATCH: increase network congestion resilience

Ricardo Galli gallir at uib.es
Sat Jan 18 06:59:33 PST 2003

On Saturday 18 January 2003 03:37, Michael Smith shaped the electrons to
shout:
> We can't just drop packets, the transmission model assumed by the
> format handlers (and required by at least one of them) will not permit

It's not vorbis. Does it?

> us to drop any data. It'd be possible, in theory at least, to tag
> buffers with a flag to say that they can be dropped, but probably not
> worth the complexity.

I think it's ok as a last resort technique for trying to maintain alive a
connection. Dropping some packages is much better that just closing the
connection. Indeed, I checked with few players and all of them recover
just fine. You have to be concentrated to notice the drops.

> Erroring out if the client hasn't received any data within some timeout
> may be a good idea, but needs some cleanup.

That the reason I moved all client buffer delivery logic to just one
function (now receiving from sources and delivery to clients are all
embeded in just one function). I will give a shot again.

--
  ricardo galli       GPG id C8114D34