[icecast-dev] Re: PATCH: increase network congestion resilience

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Fri Jan 17 18:37:00 PST 2003

On Saturday 18 January 2003 06:55, Ricardo Galli wrote:
> On Friday 17 January 2003 20:17, Karl Heyes shaped the electrons to say:
> > I would suggest a slightly different approach.
> >
> > Instead of increasing the syscall overhead for all sockets, trapping
> > for uncommon cases.  Try the sock_write_bytes and if that is
> > continuously having to queue (ie not all data can be sent) then display
> > the warning, maybe make it a run-time option (default enabled).
>
> Hi Karl,
> 	I will study it later. Do you have commit privileges? If so,
> I can send you also a patch to solve a memory leak bug (refbufs
> not released) and propose a bigger change: move the logic of
> actually sending the buffers to another function, and also
> exploit it to do some flow control.
>
> It is working in my site since a year without a glitch.
> It's something like (for old icecast version):

We can't just drop packets, the transmission model assumed by the format
handlers (and required by at least one of them) will not permit us to drop
any data. It'd be possible, in theory at least, to tag buffers with a flag to
say that they can be dropped, but probably not worth the complexity.

Erroring out if the client hasn't received any data within some timeout may be
a good idea, but needs some cleanup.

Mike