[icecast-dev] song delimiters

Likai Liu news at likai.net
Wed Feb 12 12:00:22 PST 2003

It is possible to write an external application such that:

mp3src ==> icecast ==> clients
   |          ^
   v          |
  external program ==> SoundExchange reporting requirement

program polls stat from icecast server for number of connections.

That way you don't need to hack the server, and you would more likely be
able to deal with different kinds of servers in terms of parsing their
statistics output (say, icecast 1.3.12, icecast2, shoutcast).

Now the problem is I don't know if there is any mp3src out there that
knows how to signal an external program when a song changes. It gets
even more difficult to determine the exact cue point when you play songs
from cd players (live encoded mp3 stream) instead of from mp3 files.

 From what I understand about the reporting requirement of SoundExchange
(please correct me if I'm wrong), the reporting need not be
scientifically precise. You can calculate the average listeners count
per minute, and estimate how many listeners would be listening to a
particular song. For example, if say, a total of 900 listener minutes
was broadcasted over one hour. Then on average 15 listeners would be
listening to any given song within that hour. This information can be
extracted from logs.

liulk