[icecast-dev] Metadata not updating with oss input module in ices2

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Sun Aug 10 08:28:30 PDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-08-10 at 10:56, Ben Middleton wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I am running an up-to-date cvs snapshot (10 Aug 03) of ices2, and I
> cannot get the Metadata update from file to work (indeed this has always
> been true on all previous versions of ices2 that I have used).
>
> If I send the ices process a SIGUSR1, then the error log shows that the
> update is taking place, but immediately followed by a read error from
> the OSS input module, causing ices to die.

well it's the first I've heard of it. it has been working for many
people just fine.

> I am running ices on a Solaris 8 for x86 machine with OSS sound driver.

not a combination I've used for sure.

> [2003-08-10  10:41:32] INFO encode/encode_initialise Encoder
> initialising in VBR mode: 2 channel(s), 44100 Hz, quality 5.000000
> [2003-08-10  10:41:50] INFO signals/signal_usr1_handler Metadata update
> requested
> [2003-08-10  10:41:50] EROR input-oss/oss_read Error reading from audio
> device: I/O error

This isn't nice, the read returned IO error which is a fatal error, and
thats why ices2 terminated. If this always occurs when a signal is sent
then the driver is broken wrt signal handling. Check to see if there are
any fixes to the driver first.

karl.