[icecast-dev] Connecting to yp.shoutcast.com

Thomas Kirk thomas at arkena.com
Thu Feb 21 07:28:25 PST 2002

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 11:37:40PM -0800, Dave Hayes wrote:

> Personally speaking, I've been streaming for quite a while (barring a
> few networking problems) and I've always seen the same behavior from
> the shoutcast (Nullsoft) people. Namely, they have a history of
> repeatedly changing -something- about their protocol so that icecast
> cannot list on their servers. Recently, Nullsoft has (finally)
> expressed their desire to exclude icecast from their lists.

Im looking forward to the new dirctory stuff jack has been working
on. As i understand and please correct me jack if im wrong, the
new directoryserver will be able to run on diffrent servers around the
world creating not only one but more places to announce
streams/stations. All in all a better solution instead of having on
shoutcast.com we could have lots of small shoutcast.com's. Hell we
could even let icecastservers use the directorystuff jack is working
on? If its possible (havn't looked at shoutcast server for ages ;-))

> Political speculation aside, it's quite clear we are not wanted there.
> While I sympathize with those hardy engineers who have to implement
> according to the hypnotic marketing suggestion that "shoutcast.com is
> the place to list", I don't think continuing to get ourselves listed
> there is going to be productive at all. It's a game of escalation.

Exactly! So i say lets go create our own directorylistnings.

just my 0.02$

--
Venlig hilsen/Kind regards
Thomas Kirk

Too many little pins on CPU confusing it, bend back and forth until 10-20% are neatly removed. Do _not_ leave metal bits visible!