[icecast-dev] icecast2 formats

Jack Moffitt jack at icecast.org
Sat May 19 05:07:50 PDT 2001

> I've been looking over icecast2 and notice that it's all ogg.  Are there
> plans for mp3 support in it, or will that be left to icecast1?

The original goal was Ogg only for 2.0, and then adding mp3 back in in
2.1 or something.  I added support for format plugins internal to the
server, so I do plan on adding MP3 now at 2.0.  If you look at format.c
you'll see this abstraction.

I love ogg,
> but still have a sizeable set of mp3's from before I found it.  Is it
> possible to have a stream of varying formats where songs could be either mp3
> or ogg and the listening program uses the appropriate plugin/player to
> handle decoding, or does the stream have to be a constant format?

The players all need a constant format.  They way they are all handling
streaming prevents them from being able to cope with a mixed http
stream.  Maybe in a few years they will be written better, although I
don't think there's much reason to add that feature.

The answer to your problem is probably to reencode on the fly or
beforehand so that you end up with your stream at one steady output
bitrate in only one format.

jack.