[icecast-dev] icecast2 formats

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Sat May 19 00:17:40 PDT 2001

At 02:33 AM 5/19/01 -0400, you wrote:
>I've been looking over icecast2 and notice that it's all ogg.  Are there
>plans for mp3 support in it, or will that be left to icecast1?  I love ogg,
>but still have a sizeable set of mp3's from before I found it.  Is it
>possible to have a stream of varying formats where songs could be either mp3
>or ogg and the listening program uses the appropriate plugin/player to
>handle decoding, or does the stream have to be a constant format?

Jack rewrote a fair chunk of code recently in icecast2 so that multiple formats
could be supported more easily. Right now, only ogg is there, but I believe
he plans on adding mp3 before release.
A stream will have to be one format only, though. Even if icecast were changed
so that it could cope with different formats within the one stream, most
or all of the players out there would fail horribly.

Michael