[icecast-dev] choosing icecast and creating my own streamer

Dominique Nerriere dominique.nerriere at lycos.com
Thu Aug 16 11:40:17 PDT 2001

Hi all,

is icecast good for me?

I am interested in delivering some audio + mpeg4 animation through the internet (live streaming).
my mpeg4 animation is supposed to be smaller than the audio

o my questions are:

- would icecast, as it is, support a different kind of stream (my own type) or do i have to mux the audio and video before into a special format? or maybe it supports only audio?

- it seems you use http as the protocol, but is there any way to handle synchronisation (in the worst case i can do that)
or may i use RTP? (didn't see that in the doc)

- i guess i would need to create my own liveice kind of application, that would support live mpeg4 animation feed. is looking at the source code of icelive, my best way to start?
maybe some developper doc somwhere?

- same thing I will need my own iceplay to be able to render my opengl, and synch with the audio. iceplay my best bet?

I installed liveice, icecast on linux and run sonique on win32. and i am happy :)

I am looking forward to use icecast
thanks for your help

Dominique

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!