[icecast-dev] bug report w.r.t. streaming of metadata in icecast

Brendan Cully brendan at icecast.org
Tue Aug 7 13:47:28 PDT 2001

On Tuesday, 07 August 2001 at 12:56, Richard Fromm wrote:
> i've been trying to get title streaming of metadata to work with icecast
> 1.3.10.  i've found what i believe to be a bug -- is this the right place to
> file a bug report?

I think so.

> it appears that this information should be periodically inserted into the data
> stream.  the behavior that i was seeing was that the information was appearing
> a maximum of one time and sometimes zero times.

Are you sure? It should change whenever the stream source does an
"updinfo" command. Otherwise the information hasn't changed and there
is no point in wasting bandwidth resending it.

> i believe there is a bug in the following line in write_chunk_with_metadata()
> in source.c.  here is the original:
>
> 		if (source->info.udpseqnr == clicon->food.client->udpseqnr) {
>
> and here is the change:
>
> 		if (clicon->food.client->use_udp && source->info.udpseqnr == clicon->food.client->udpseqnr) {

It's not a bug, the variable is just badly named. I know because I
made the same mistake at first.

> if the client is connecting with tcp, then i assume that the comparision of
> udp sequence numbers is meaningless.  therefore, does any use of udpseqnr
> within a client_t structure need to be conditioned with use_udp ?
>
> in my local copy, this is the only instance that i changed, and it indeed
> causes the metadata to appear periodically within the stream.

You've just forced clients to receive updates every metaint bytes
instead of when the metadata changes. Take a look at what modifies
udpseqnr. Metadata works fine for me without this change. What are you
testing with?

-Brendan