[foms] WebVTT implementation in browsers

Thomas Levine _ at thomaslevine.com
Mon Feb 18 22:13:24 UTC 2019

Silvia Pfeiffer writes:
> On Sat, Apr 7, 2018 at 2:10 PM, Thomas Levine <_ at thomaslevine.com> wrote:
> > I have found the discrepancy between the draft specification and the
> > actual implementation to lead to ample disappointment, so I appreciate
> > any reconciliation. The main feature that I really wish would be
> > implemented is karaoke display. I don't use polyfills, but I am
> > rendering my WebVTT files differently to cope with the lack of karaoke
> > display. I would render them with ordinary karaoke timings if that
> > worked in browsers.
> >
> > You remind me, I still haven't gotten around to writing up the opinions
> > I developed over the past year about the language settings in the WebVTT
> > specification and in the HTML track tags. I have been working on a
> > project with subtitles in many different languages, and the modeling of
> > languages is inappropriate for my use. Once I write up these opinions,
> > do you want me to post it on this issue tracker?
> > https://github.com/w3c/webvtt/issues
>
> Yes please! That's where all work for WebVTT happens now.
>
> Thanks,
> Silvia.

Almost one year later, I have finally composed my comments. I personally
try to limit my use of proprietary software, but you may copy the
comments to the issue tracker.
https://thomaslevine.com/scm/langrompiloj/doc/trunk/presentations/foms/README.wiki

I have also added it to the FOMS 2019 position statement page.