[foms] The State of HTML5 Video

tracey jaquith tracey at archive.org
Thu Jan 26 11:00:07 PST 2012

Hi Zach,

Nice writeup by you and longtail.

As an aside,
at Internet Archive, we are moving our 600,000 public videos and TV
(with over 1M more not-yet-public) off of the (flash-only) "flowplayer"
to jwplayer.  We had been integrating mwEmbed with great support
from Michael Dale, previously, but we get a small number of picky
<ahem> users on our site and had some difficulty with schedules getting
everything working perfectly (in the eyes of these picky users).

We now have an "opt-in" (to jwplayer) program right now and are hoping
to make it the default player, and then the only player soon.
(eg:  http://www.archive.org/details/dn2012-0113_vid (at bottom is a (beta!)
 opt-in link)

We're doing some kind of interesting things with moving "dock" elements into
the "controlbar", putting back in custom prev/next buttons (for html5 variant, which
we "lead with" instead of flash) and have recompiled the sharing flash plugin
to make a more custom page (very "short" height on the non-playlist part
cause sharing plugin a bit of grief that we are working around -- eg:
http://www.archive.org/details/WKBW_Halloween_1973
http://www.archive.org/embed/WKBW_Halloween_1973 )

Maybe we can touch base at some point?

Best regards,