[foms] WebM Manifest

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Wed May 4 15:17:25 PDT 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 2:07 AM, Ralph Giles <giles at thaumas.net> wrote:
> On 4 May 2011 06:40, Thomas Vander Stichele <thomas at apestaart.org> wrote:
>
>> The reality today is that there isn't a single CDN out there (except
>> maybe ours, but we're not even in the US) that is able to stream live
>> non-adaptive WebM.  Not even Google seems to plan to do it.
>
> Hi Thomas! Thanks for joining in.
>
> I'm confused about what your point is here, other than we should be
> considering live streaming. You also seem to be saying that chunked
> streaming is the only way that's going to work...so there's no point
> in other methods, e.g. virtual chunking for switching bandwidth with
> not-live streams?

I think Thomas is referring to the proposal to simply concatenate the
different bandwidth alternatives into one file to make access and
mean that the files of one bandwidth need to be chunked.

I actually agree with Thomas - I think we need to keep the different
bandwidth alternatives as different files. But I would also say that
if we can avoid chunking within a single bandwidth and can find means
of switching mid-stream, that would be nicer.

Right now, the chunking on MPEG is used to allow for live streaming,
too, because it updates the "file size" regularly. But I don't think
that's absolutely necessary to enable live streaming over HTTP.

Cheers,
Silvia.