[foms] WebM Manifest

Philip Jägenstedt philipj at opera.com
Thu Mar 17 05:55:56 PDT 2011

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 13:42:47 +0100, Steve Lhomme <slhomme at matroska.org>
wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj at opera.com>
> wrote:
>> On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 13:08:37 +0100, Steve Lhomme <slhomme at matroska.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> IMO the information about the stream options and the way they are
>>> processed should be completely decorrelated.
>>
>> What does this mean, in practice? Is this an argument against making it
>> possible to do adaptive streaming using a stream concatenation API, or
>> for
>> something else?
>
> It sounds like you're trying to have a JPEG file and the library to
> display it inside the file. I think this is a bad design. The way to
> handle a manifest should be up to the browser. And if you really need
> a piece of JavaScript code to handle the manifest, then put it on the
> web page, not inside the manifest.

Oh, then we are simply misunderstanding each other. Of course JavaScript
to parse the manifest should not be part of the manifest itself, but as a
library loaded by the web page. Something like this:

<video src="video.manifest"></video>
<!-- video.manifest is the same manifest as given to non-browsers -->
<script src="manifest-parser.js"></script>
<script>
var v = document.querySelector('video');
var m = v.src;
manifestParser(m, v); // parse the manifest (m), use the browser-provided
API and make the resulting video be displayed in video (v)
</script>

When this is implemented and mature it might be a good time to take the
next step and native support for the manifest format.

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer