[foms] WebM Manifest

Steve Lhomme slhomme at matroska.org
Thu Mar 17 05:42:47 PDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj at opera.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 13:08:37 +0100, Steve Lhomme <slhomme at matroska.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj at opera.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Would it be an acceptable outcome if one can deliver to browsers using a
>>> DASH manifest with some JavaScript glue to parse the manifest and map
>>> that
>>> to the lower level APIs that browsers provide?
>>
>> That would be really odd. First because it would be fixed to a set of
>> APIs, so would not be able to use newer technologies for adaptive
>> streaming in the future.
>
> Unless browsers implement support for those newer technologies you won't be
> able to use them in any case. This is the case regardless of what kind of
> API is provided, right?
>
>> It may also mean adapting and changing the
>> manifest if a bug is found in a specific browser version.
>
> This is even more the case if browsers have bugs in their native support for
> some manifest format. With JavaScript you can possibly work around it for
> that specific browser rather than changing the manifest for all clients. In
> any case, I don't think it's obvious at all that any approach here is more
> likely to be buggy.
>
>> IMO the information about the stream options and the way they are
>> processed should be completely decorrelated.
>
> What does this mean, in practice? Is this an argument against making it
> possible to do adaptive streaming using a stream concatenation API, or for
> something else?

It sounds like you're trying to have a JPEG file and the library to
display it inside the file. I think this is a bad design. The way to
handle a manifest should be up to the browser. And if you really need
a piece of JavaScript code to handle the manifest, then put it on the
web page, not inside the manifest.

--
Steve Lhomme
Matroska association Chairman