[foms] Proposal: adaptive streaming using open codecs

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 12:42:10 PDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 6:11 AM, Christopher Blizzard
<blizzard at mozilla.com> wrote:
>  On 10/19/2010 12:36 AM, Jeroen Wijering wrote:
>> The API is included, in the "scripting" section of the proposal. It follows e.g. the mozDroppedFrames / mozDecodedFrames enhancements.
>
> OK, for some reason I totally glazed over that part of the spec
> entirely.  Failed at reading comprehension.
>
> One thing that wasn't there was the ability to set the chunk
> information.  i.e. what's the next chunk the browser needs to get.

This information is in the manifest files.

>  This
> makes it harder to remain compatible with standalone players,

VLC supports m3u8 files for Apple's HTTP live streaming of MPEG FAIK,
so that would be easy to adapt to this scheme. I don't understand
where the compatibility problem would be.

> but also
> might be really useful if you don't want to have to keep reloading the
> manifest and can generate it from another source.

It only needs reloading for a live stream. There is no other means for
a live stream to find out about the new files on the server other than
through the manifest.

Silvia.