[foms] HLS and HLS patents

Zaheer Merali zaheermerali at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 01:20:11 PDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 7:30 AM, Jeroen Wijering
<jeroen at longtailvideo.com> wrote:
> That would be very helpful!
>
> The big issue I see with M3U8 is that it requires chunks to be transport
> streams. I presume this is not an open format?

m3u8 is just a playlist file format. Nothing stops you putting other
files in there and the demo I did of the prototype of live webm
chunked streaming at foms had m3u8 files with webm chunks.

Andoni of Flumotion and I are working on getting it into a state where
we can have a demo stream running. Andoni has got a client working
with the prototype and has fixed up the prototype quite well. I also
plan to test vlc on it as its client implementation has no restriction
on the format of the chunks.

Zaheer