[foms] Proposal: adaptive streaming using open codecs

Chris Pearce chris at pearce.org.nz
Fri Nov 12 11:37:07 PST 2010

On 13/11/2010 7:29 a.m., Frank Galligan wrote:

> With the proposal API below we are implying that to do
> client adaptive streaming, the content creator must use interleaved
> chunks, which I think we talked about before and the consensus was not
> the preferred choice.

It was also my impression that breaking files into already interleaved
chunks was not the preferred choice. I think the idea of defining an
"append already interleaved chunk" API was a temporary measure to get a
demo working sooner so that we can tests switching heuristics and the like.

> [...]
>
> 3. Chunks are virtual within files with separate files for all streams.
> [...]
> I think we should be leaning towards #3.

I agree.  This seems the most flexible, and least cumbersome. Long term
I think we should aim for this.

Regards,
Chris P.