[foms] Just Arrived

Jeroen Wijering jeroen at longtailvideo.com
Wed Nov 10 12:03:18 PST 2010

On Nov 10, 2010, at 8:54 PM, Steve Lhomme wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I just subscribed to this list in hope I can help with all the
> adaptative streaming in HTML5 videos (and audio as well). I am the
> (main) creator of Matroska, one of the basis of WebM. And from day one
> my main concern for WebM's success has been that it misses that
> adaptative streaming part, which is key to a good video experience in
> a browser.
>
> I used to work for CoreCodec and have done a good amount of my work
> there was handling video streams over HTTP, including YouTube ones,
> for CorePlayer, a very efficient mobile video player. And IMO video in
> mobile web browsers is important for the future. And it can only work
> well by taking in account the highly varying nature of bandwidth.
>
> The archives are a little tricky to navigate (efficiently), so I'll
> jump on conversations when I see fit. Pardon me in advance if I
> propose things that have already been discussed... Is there any online
> resource that describes the progress of some kind of specs that would
> have arised from the discussions here ?
>
> Steve

Welcome!

I've written something down here, but it's under heavy development and alternative approaches vary wildly:

http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Adaptive_Streaming

Current focus is on the sections on QOS metrics and API adaptive streaming.  Philip Jägenstedt just proposed an elegant alternative to building videoElement.appendVideo() by leveraging the Stream API:

  var s = new Stream();
  s.appendURL('chunk1.webm');
  s.appendURL('chunk2.webm');
  video.src = s.url;