[foms] Fwd: [RTW] Fwd: I-D Action:draft-zong-httpstreaming-gap-analysis-01.txt

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at mozilla.com
Wed Nov 3 14:46:25 PDT 2010

On 11/3/2010 2:32 PM, Mark Watson wrote:

> It's relevant, but that document does contain quite a number of errors
> and omissions - not least that it is very out-of-date with respect to
> MPEG DASH. Some of these have been pointed out on the IETF list
> discussing this issue (httpstreaming at ietf.org
> <mailto:httpstreaming at ietf.org>). I think quite a few people are
> skeptical about the need for any work on this in the IETF.

Are you part of the DASH group?

There was an earlier question about DASH and if we knew about it and
about MPEG in general which I meant to respond to.

I can't speak for others but I can't say that I haven't been involved
there.  I'm generally skeptical of MPEG because they failed in their
attempt to make an H.264 baseline available on an RF basis.  (One of
their original goals, as I understand it.)  It's clear they are
relevant.  It's not clear to me if I should spend any time or effort
working with them, even on something like DASH.

So if the IETF is working in that space it's fine with me, especially if
there's some harmony between various specs.

--Chris